Hangars One and Two
Delta Air Service was formed in 1928 with an investors' buyout of Huff Daland Dusters, Inc. Delta remained headquartered in Monroe, Louisiana, until it moved to Atlanta, Georgia, in 1941. The airline changed its name to Delta Air Lines in 1945.
Historic Hangar One and Two, built in the 1940s, housed all aircraft maintenance for Delta until the completion of the Jet Base, now the Technical Operations Center, in 1960.
Today, Hangar One contains the Museum Archives; the Museum Store, housed in the body of an L-1011; and the Monroe Café.
Hangar Two is home to The Spirit of Delta, B-767. Because the tail of Ship 102 was four feet higher than the support beams in the “tail door” of the hangar, a team of structural engineers modified the structure in 2006 to allow Spirit to fit. The hangar also received a much-needed cosmetic change – a fresh coat of interior paint to bring the hangar back to its original “maintenance grey”.
The facade of Delta's Monroe headquarters in Hangar One serves as a backdrop for the Monroe Café, which is a popular gathering place for lunch or meetings.
Click here to learn more about planning an event at the Museum.